Cogmed Working Memory Training
Dr. Katie Spencer is proud to be a certified provider of Cogmed Working Memory TrainingTM.
Cogmed is an evidence-based program for helping children, adolescents, and adults improve their attention by training their working memory. Working memory is the ability to keep information in your mind for a short time, focus on a task, and remember what to do next. In daily life, working memory plays an important role in the capacity to follow multi-step instructions, perform the various steps involved in sequencing a task, and sustain both attention and impulse control.
Signs of working memory deficits:
• problems focusing
• difficulty starting and completing tasks
• easily distracted
• forgetting instructions or difficulty following multi-step instructions (particularly after a delay)
• performing tasks with high sequencing demands (such as getting ready for school).
Studies also show that challenges with working memory often lead to difficulties in school, particularly with regard to reading comprehension and math.
Cogmed is based upon strong scientific research and can be completed in the convenience of one's own home. Studies have shown that Cogmed is effective at improving working memory, with associated improvements in school performance, reading comprehension, math skills, and behavior. Research has also found that Cogmed leads to greater gains than medication alone, and these improvements are sustained over time.
The complete program includes:
• Initial interview
• Start-up session
• Five weeks of training with weekly phone check-ins
• Wrap-up meeting
• Six month follow-up interview
• Cogmed Extension Training (12 months)
For more information, contact Dr. Spencer:
404-256-9325 ext 727